Sunday, October 5, 2008

SUP'ing the Everglades

We have a swamp buggy that we use for my landscape photography in the Everglades. Here in Florida, we have 2 seasons - the wet season and the dry season. I think we should add 'really wet season' to that list. The buggy trails in the Everglades are really deep right now - so deep that many locations are off limits even with the swamp buggy.

One day while looking at the flooded trails, Alan and I both realized that this would be the perfect opportunity to incorporate our new hobby - standup paddleboarding. We could take the boards into the Everglades as far as the buggy would allow and then start paddling.

Time to put the plan in action.
Saturday, October 4th, 2008 - We load the board and head to where we keep our swamp buggy in the Everglades. The terrain here is limestone and the ground here is very bumpy. The largest fin of the boards are removed in case we come across a shallow area.

We then load the boards onto the buggy and head out.

It doesn't take long to find that the water is too deep for the buggy so its time to start paddling.

Paddling Into Infinity
These trails go on for miles and miles - it feels like we're paddling into infinity. There are cypress trees for as far as the eyes can see. This is very peaceful - no sounds except the sounds of nature and the sounds of our paddles and boards as we slide across the water.

The most popular buggy trails are fairly wide in some spots but I like to paddle close to the trees so that I can see all the bromeliads and orchids. Unfortunately the orchids are not in bloom now but it's still interesting to see how many I can locate.

We were not able to go back as far as we wanted on this trip. Some bad weather was developing and heading our way. But rest assured that we'll be back to do this again real soon!

Photo Op of the Day
After we leave the buggy, I suggest that we go by one of my favorite scenic spots in the Everglades and consider paddling that area.

Keep in mind that we would never even consider paddling at this location during the dry season. During the dry season this area is loaded with alligators because it's one of the few locations where the water stays relatively deep.

We arrive and we carefully look around to make sure that there are no alligators hanging around.. No signs of them so we proceed with the plan.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is without a doubt the coolest and most original idea I've ever seen. What a great way to spend the day. You should come up with guided trips! I'd sign up.