Sunday, October 26, 2008

"Slacker Beach"

We have a favorite beach that we like to paddleboard. We call it "Slacker Beach".

"Slacker Beach" - How the name came about - Myself, Alan and  good friend & co-worker, Janet, and I seem to have trouble putting in a full 40 hours a week. That's just way too much!  So whenever possible and whenever the tides are right, we try to take a partial day off from work and hit the beach with the paddleboard.  We've dubbed these days as "Slacker Days" and since our favorite beach doesn't have a name, we've named it "Slacker Beach".

Sunday, October 26th - Today was a Sunday so work slacking wasn't required.  However the tides and winds looked perfect for a day at our favorite beach. Alan and I were anxious to go. I called Janet but she and her boyfriend Holiday already had plans for the day. We would have to slack without her.

It was a good workout today.  The strong NE wind was blowing against us as we cruised up the beach and a strong tidal current was working against us as we came back down the beach. The burn felt good (I say that now).

I can only attempt to describe how it feels to be 'walking on water'. 
It's kind of like kayaking but you have a much higher view. You can see the fish on the flats, you can see the horseshoe crabs moving along the bottom.  An osprey was diving into the water within 50' of me today. Redfish and snook were cruising along within paddle's reach as I was sliding along the surface.

October is a great month for redfish here in SW Florida and we saw many today. We're now trying to think of how to rig the paddleboards for fishing. It would definitely be a fun and stealthy way to get out to the flats. 

Cruising over crystal clear bonefish flats is an ultimate goal. I see a trip to Islamorada in our not so distant future!

Oh yea - This slacker is enjoying every minute of this time on the water.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You really captured Slacker Beach. I love the photo of the paddle board resting on the sand.
Sorry I wasn't there to slack with you guys but it looks as if you had no worries. Paddle boarding is hard to describe, it's sublime!

Cheers from you fellow slacker. Janet