Monday, April 20, 2009

Lucky's


If you traveled along Loop Road in the Everglades then you're probably familiar with a place known as Lucky's. 

Lucky's is located on the Eastern end of Loop Rd - you can't miss it. 

Alan and I have passed by this location many of times and admired the creativity of the place. The entrance looks inviting enough - even has an OPEN sign when the gates area open.  But when you peak inside the entrance gates, it would be easy to be intimidated enough to carry on your way.
As you turn in, you'll be greeted by a doghouse - complete with a sign pointing to it that says "Very Dead Dog".  There's something inside the doghouse that doesn't look quite right - and I was prepared for a closer look!
To your right is a hut and it's hard to miss the stuffed bobcat displayed on the framework.  This bobcat has definitely seen better days!

So as you're pulling in to these sights, you might say to yourself - "What kind of person has these kind of displays way out here in the middle of the Everglades?" 
I've said those same word and now I can finally answer that question. 
"A very nice couple and very creative artist - that's who."

April 19th, 2009 - With time to spare on this trip to the Everglades, Alan and I decided to stop in at Lucky's. The OPEN sign was out so we decided to give it a try.  We pulled in past the decrepit stuffed animals and made our way to the house that had the OPEN sign. We were greeted by a lady who was quick to shake our hands and introduce herself as Maureen. We sat on the front porch with Maureen. We had a couple of beers and a great conversation.
During this conversation, Lucky came home and we made acquaintances.  Within minutes with each of them, we felt that we were among old friends.

Lucky is also a photographer - although he enjoys a different scenery than I.  He specializes in exotic photographs of beautiful women in the surroundings of the Everglades. I guess that's why people call him Lucky!

During our conversation, I realized that our worlds aren't so different. We share a lot of the same creativity, humor, logic and justifications. Most of all, we all shared the appreciation of the beauty of the Everglades. 

While there, I took a few photos to share the experience with you.


These wind-chimes are an example of Lucky's creativity. The large bamboo chime and the revolving frying pans chime make very soothing sounds in the wind.

Junk for Sale - There's some good stuff in here!

It's the details that count. 
Note the feeding dish located at the fake deer.

Maureen's Beach
Maureen's above ground pool is complete with sand and seashells for an authentic day at the beach in the middle of the Everglades.

Maureen's beach is complete with pole for pole-dances during pool parties.

This tub with a view is great for bubble baths while enjoying the scenic Everglades sunset. Complete with a propane heater underneath the tub for those cool nights.

If you're on Loop Road and find yourself short on beer, ice, gas, oil, cigarettes, good photography or good conversation, stop in at Lucky's. 

View Lucky's photography website.






3 comments:

Diana Duque-Mumme said...

WOW! Looks like an amazing place...Very interesting...was it scary???

Capt. Rob said...

That is very cool. I'm going to have to stop by the place and see it in person!

jhuber7672 said...

Okay, where abouts is this? I lived in Flamingo for 3 years, is this in the western side of the Everglades? Looks cool!