Saturday, April 18, 2009

Behind the Scenes at Sweetwater Strand





You can explore every day and it might never look the same - if you look close enough. 

It had been a couple of weeks since we've been and I was really feeling the need to get down there. It was a day trip and I had the plans of hitting some favorite spots and planned to get down to Sweetwater Strand.

Granted we're in the dry season and we expect low water conditions.  However, our last trip a couple of weeks ago surprised us with higher waters than usual. We had a recent overnight rain and the flow of the Everglades had brought a good amount of water down to our area.
...but I guess that water was quickly absorbed by the dry conditions.  Today we found the water to be lower than we have ever seen.

After a few photos (ok about a hundred) along the way, we made our way to Sweetwater Strand. This area is famous to photographers and many people who read this will know the area.  But if you look at these photos - you may find it hard to recognize.  It's dry - the driest I've ever seen. 

These conditions allowed me the opportunity to see Sweetwater in a different light.  I was walking around in areas that's usually filled with alligators and fish.  

As we were exploring the area, Alan noticed an alligator trail that leads to and from the main area. We followed the trail and it opened up to a beautiful open area that we never knew existed. It was obviously a small lake that was now filled with cracked soil and alligator trails.

The Trail Opened Up to this Beautiful Small Lake

Alligator Trails - In Search of Water

We stayed for a while and I took lots of photos. Who knows when or if I'll be able to get to this spot again. As I said - it's always changing.
Pond Apple and Cypress Trees surround the small lake.

No comments: