
I was photographing this mangrove in the Everglades National Park when I looked from behind the viewfinder and noticed that something within it's hanging roots was wrong.

The carcass of a waterbird was hanging from fishing line that was left in the tree.
A senseless death. The ground is solid - there's no reason why this line could not have been removed by the angler who got it entangled in the tree.
I called over to Alan to ask if he could bring out a knife. He came over and cut the braid line out of the tree and we took it with us for proper disposal.
I'd like to offer a fishing tip - If you get caught up in a mangrove - move the boat over to the mangrove and cut your line out. If the boat can't get there, wading is usually a capable option.
Be responsible - we're here to share this water and this environment.
Thank you - I'll get off of my soapbox now.

No comments:
Post a Comment